Those who knew me in my younger years are probably scratching their heads...J-dub, actually wanting to run?? Even more, she signed up for a half-marathon??
In college, I never ran for enjoyment. It was always so that I didn't suck so bad that I made my teammates have to run another gasser. There is nothing worse than being the reason your teammates had to run another 208 yards! WORST. FEELING. EVER!!
After college, I ran on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then lifted some weights at the gym. This was a great after work routine with the BFF. It was quality time with my sister from another mister! The working out was so that we could enjoy our weekends and our Monday Night Football tradition....wings and onion straws!
Two kids, a hubby deployed, and having made the decision to be a domestic engineer, I needed something to do. Target was taking way too much of my money and I was in desperate need of some adult conversation!! My dear friend, Mia, started the Camp Pendleton chapter of Stroller Warriors in April 2012. Just like most who aren't too familiar with the running group, I was nervous. Me, in a running club? I'm not a runner! I'm certainly not good enough to be a "Stroller Warrior." Then again, what else was there to do? I like working out, for the most part, and I really enjoy being a part of a team. Plus, I couldn't call myself a friend if I didn't support Mia in her endeavor. So, I figured I'd give it a shot.
I quickly learned what it meant to be a "Stroller Warrior"...and it's not what you think. We all are not the ultra-marathoners that the term "warrior" might imply. Sure, we are runners (if you run, you are a runner. Period.) but we are so much more.
We are warriors because we...
- wear two hats...mom and dad!
- go about living out our routines when half our hearts are deployed!
- make sure our kiddos don't miss a single beat in this crazy thing called life!
- grocery shop, with kids in tow, ensuring we are wearing the "proper" commissary attire!
- are friends that get together for one mean game of Apples to Apples or some Cosmic Bowling!
- find time to give selflessly to others!
- cheer on our minions at a school jump-roping or jogathon fundraiser or a Kids 1K Fun-Run!
- are there for support when a phone call or Skype session is missed!
- LOVE potlucks!
- work to support our families, whether it is financially, spiritually, emotionally, or a combination of them all!
- take finals in between driving kids to school, volunteering, changing diapers and holding down the fort!
- still cheer for others even though we may be unable to run, no matter how badly we want to hit the pavement!
- always take time to chat with each other, no matter what is going on in our own lives!
- help each other "herd the cats" so that we can get our ground work in!
- still show up for a run even after a morning that may send most back to bed (a kid who up-chucked breakfast, a diaper change that requires a new outfit, getting stuck in border patrol traffic, getting lost on the way to a run, being up all night with a kid who wanted nothing but to be held)!
- contrary to what some may say (or write), don't always live the lavish lifestyle!
- Just Do It!
Now, we do get together and get our run on. The group runs are set up so that we begin and finish together...40 minutes of an out and back route (20 minute out, turn around, and retrace your steps for the final 20 minutes). Whether you run 1 mile or 10 miles in 40 minutes, there is always a bunch of awesome women there to cheer you on! I always feel like a million bucks when I finish, even if my body says otherwise!
 |
| Just a couple marathoners |
 |
| Hard cord planks |
 |
| Future warriors |
 |
| Running for Sandy Hook |
 |
| Running for Sandy Hook |
 |
| Showing some green love for Sandy Hook |
 |
| Three little guys being sooooooooo good while their mommies collect donations |
 |
| Super Storm Sandy donations |
 |
| All boxed up and ready for shipment |
 |
| Food bank donations! |
 |
| Stroller-less Warriors! Complete with smiles! |
 |
| Running with a smile! |
 |
| Running with some added weight...car seats. I know...BOB doesn't recommend this but this is what we do. |
 |
| Gettin' our pull-ups on! |
 |
| Showing us all how to flex-arm hang like a BOSS! |
 |
| Striders while the minions watch! |
 |
| Beginning together! |
 |
| Barefoot running |
 |
| Riding is exhausting! |
 |
| Yes, Mia, you are a BEAST!!! |
 |
| Color run....or color fun? You decide! |
 |
| It's a great day for a 5K! |
 |
| Love our cheering squads!! |
 |
| There's nothing like having your very own cheering section...brings a smile to your face even in the hardest part of a race! |
 |
| Look at that form! |
 |
| Fist pumps are a MUST!! |
 |
| High-fives! |
 |
| Just a bunch of BAMRs and the kiddos!!! |
Stroller Warriors Camp Pendleton just completed its inaugural Couch to 5K program. This 8 week program slowly eases you from literally sitting on the couch to running a 5K (3.1 miles). The graduation run was quite the experience. It was so amazing that this post cannot do it justice...be on the lookout for a post solely dedicated to that fantabulous day!! Below is just a snapshot of the C25K Warriors!!
 |
| Graduates with our littles and medals! |
Thank you SWCP for enriching my life, beyond the miles we pound out!
As I finish typing this up, I ask that you please pray for the families of the 7 Marines that were killed today in Nevada.
I had never seen this Jennifer. What a beautiful tribute. I didn't know your back-story and I really enjoyed getting to know you a little better, especially with what a HUGE impact you've had on the SWCP chapter in leading with Mia. Thank you for all you've done, and continue to do, for your military community every day. We're proud of you!!!
ReplyDeleteSteph Geraghty