December 24, 2012

Our first week back in the cold

Can hardly believe we've been in Maryland for over a week! Time is just flying!! While I'm sad that it goes so quickly when visiting family and friends, I sure do appreciate checking off another day on the countdown calendar!!

Well, the trip flying east was certainly an adventure which began at 3:30 am. There are very few words to describe getting from the car to the ticket counter, through security and then to the gate other than "charlie foxtrot!" I am SOOOOOOOOOOO thankful my parents were there to help! Traveling with two little ones (and matching carseats) is NOT an easy task!

We booked the first flight out at 7:15 so as to possibly avoid any delays due to planes being late. Well, that was all fine and dandy until some silly cleaning/refueling/luggage personnel (not really sure who it was) decided that he was going to accidentally hit the emergency slide button. It only came out a little but to put it all back together required that it be fully deployed and then shoved back in. It was going to be at least an hour until they could give an assessment as to when we would take off!!! Thankfully, and this is why I love Southwest, they simply switched planes. The other plane was not set to depart until well after 8:30 am. For once, I saw common sense prevail!!! It was glorious!! We left 45 minutes later than expected, but were only 15 minutes late pulling into the gate at BWI. Talk about catching some major tailwind!!

The plane ride was as I expected. Ethan did NOT sleep the entire way. We brought his carseat onto the plane thinking that this would keep him seated. It did, however it put his feet right into the seat in front of him. Needless to say the passenger in that seat had quite the bumpy ride. Dad and I were very diligent in moving his feet and telling him "no" however there really wasn't anywhere else for them to go. We at least tried, which the man appreciated, however I'm sure it was a very long flight for him! Ethan did sleep for about an hour, however the remaining 3.5 were spent trying to entertain him. I'm sure I've said this before, and stealing a line from our good friend Mr. Braxton: "he has the attention span of a gnat!" We did let Ethan out of his seat to walk run up and down the aisle. That little stinker is QUICK!!! He did not appreciate having to sit back in his seat when the Captain turned on the seat belt sign. Neither did this mommy!!

Eleanor, as I thought, slept most of the way! She survived the pressure changes during take-off and landing. Thankfully she was not THAT baby!!

Long story, long....we made it and are having a great time! Ethan absolutely loves playing with his cousins. There is no such thing as quiet when they get together....but their laughter is such an amazing sound. There really is nothing like children playing and laughing together!

In the short 7 days we have been here we have taken 300something pictures! Picking the good ones was REALLY hard!!!

Awesome cousion time!
 
Popeye!!

Ethan says that he can sit in the bouncey seat too!
 
Cousin love...more like cousin smothering!
 
He might not be a California dude - blonde hair, blue eyes. Heartbreaker!!!

Cleanest Oreo eater I know!!

Princess Ella and Princess-in-training Eleanor

Grade school friends and their babies!!

The chase after a delicious taco dinner....burnin' off those calories!

Momma Ella taking care of her kid!

Liam not too happy to share!!

Brrrrrr....cold!!!

The trains at Homestead Gardens!

Bye-bye train!!

Such excitement!

I wonder what is so interesting!!
 
Hey Bentley....let's blow this joint!

Vroom, vroom....let's go fast!!
 

Pretty in pink...Go Navy!

The Grands enjoying some awesome train action!

Grandma!!!!

Grandpa and his buddies!!

My buddy!!
 
Whitey and Bentley having a good time!!

Oh hey....I'm just hangin' with Uncle Whitey. He's cool!

Cousin pizza time!! Absolutely hysterical!

This is what happens when you make this California boy wear a winter hat!!

Visiting with our buddy Jameson!! Someday my children will smile for the camera!

Besties and their babies!!

Trying to figure out Little Orphan Annie's secret message. All he needs is the decoder ring!!



Ralphie!!!


 So far, we have had a blast! We've gone to some of our favorite places: the Naval Academy, Los Portales (to meet up with the old work group), Main Ingredient, O'Loughlins, Wawa and Aunt Laura's house! Ethan is having a great time "exploring" the new digs...aka - opening every kitchen cabinet door and climbing the stairs. He LOVES playing in the basement with his cousins...there are toys down there from when I was a kid. Just when he has figured out what he can and cannot play with, it's time for us to pack our bags and head to Northern Virginia to spend time with Jon's family.

From our family to yours, Merry Christmas!!

1 comment: