Working from home is certainly not for everyone. I'm often asked how I do it and I respond back with, "I don't know, I just do." No, I don't hear the laundry basket calling my name nor that brand new recipe that takes hours to prepare. I'm not even all that tempted by Ethan playing downstairs (well, at least not all the time). I actually find myself more productive at home than in an office. While a social butterfly in person, I am not one to chat on the phone. Call me if you need something, but hour long chats just aren't my cup of tea.
Working from home does however require some face-time at the office. Ethan and I have traveled back to Maryland several times in his short little lifespan, however none of the trips required a 5 hour flight. It was not only quicker flying from Savannah or Atlanta to Baltimore, but it was much easier when he was smaller. There is a reason why airlines only allow for toddlers under 2 to ride on some one's lap...there just isn't enough room! While my toddler is only 14 months, I believe the next time we fly I will be purchasing him his own seat. I guess I should start listening to people (as opposed to getting upset) every time they tell me "he's so big" or "look at those cheeks" or even worse, "he's just a little chunk." While "Ethan" and "tiny/small/little" have never been used in the same sentence before, I've never considered him huge. To me, he's just perfect, all 30+ inches and 26+ pounds.
Our adventure began the day I confirmed my trip with my manager - back in April. I debated for several days which was better when flying with a kid - a direct flight or a stop that would allow us to stretch our legs. Selfishly, I chose the direct flight because I personally hate layovers. I did not want to have to get off a plane and race to another terminal to catch a flight. I've done that pre-Ethan and swore I would avoid it at all cost if possible. Since this was on the Company's nickel, I was able to "splurge" just a little. Thank goodness for Southwest!
Once the direct flight was booked from San Diego to Baltimore, all I could think about was what I was going to need to make it through the trip. I created a list, but realized that list just wasn't organized enough and so developed another list. After a few days that list wasn't legible anymore, so a new list was create. If you know me - you get the picture. I think I found 8 variations of the same list laying around either the desk or the kitchen counter. I've always been a list maker...but making a list for two people is just that much more involved. I've gotten really good a trimming the "fat" on my own items, however traveling with Ethan is a new adventure every time. Good news - we packed everything we needed, and of course things that were completely unnecessary.
On one of my lists I laid out exactly what I would be doing on which day after the workday was completed. Wednesday was laundry; Thursday was packing (I miraculously was able to fit everything for the two of us into our medium size luggage); Friday was last minute odds & ends shopping and more laundry. I headed to Target with a few things in mind: a coloring pad, crayons, a couple bananas and a toddler carseat luggage tote. GASP! Target did not have the carseat tote...my schedule was quickly becoming ruined. I called around to some local children's shops and not one carried what I was looking for. I was able to find a Babies-R-Us that had them in stock...40 minutes away. The carseat tote was essential as it is a bookbag type of tote and I would already be pushing a stroller and pulling our clothes luggage and my wheeled computer bag, which seconded as the holder of Ethan's diapers & wipes.
Saturday - the day of the big trip - arrives and begins at 6:30am west coast time. I loaded the car the night before with everything I could. The Ethan carry-on was loaded down with George, some small toys, crayons and paper, and enough food to feed an army. The 45 minute trek to the airport was uneventful, thankfully, and we were able to find a decent parking space. Getting from the car to the ticket counter was interesting and slow but we made it. I've never been so happy to check a bag before! We make it through the security gate a-ok and find ourselves with 2 hours to spare. Let me tell you - entertaining an active 14 month old in an airport for 2 hours is an adventure in itself. Thankfully everyone seemed to enjoy the inquisitive little guy and didn't call TSA because my bags were left unattended (although never out of sight). We learned that the only place to get milk at the San Diego terminal is at the Starbucks! They poured it directly into Ethan's cup, so I wasn't able to buy any extra. Lesson learned - bring a bigger cup!
The two hours pass by, with Ethan learning a new word - truck. Thankfully he enjoyed looking out the big windows at the "tuck." It kept him distracted for about 5 minutes and then it was off to find something else more interesting. He wanted so badly to go into the bar (as did mommy) but there wasn't any room at 10:00 in the morning. The Vegas-goers were getting a head start! One of the older ladies in the bar (think the slot-playing grandma type) did everything she could to get Ethan to wave to her. Of course he did nothing but stare at the strange lady....as did mommy!
They call our 11am flight and we're all lined up to board. We were lucky enough to get an aisle seat in the back of the plane...with the rest of the munchkins. You know how I said that Ethan is an active 14 month old...well, the same goes for being on a plane. While the hum of the engines once put our baby to sleep, they no longer had that affect on him. He was nothing short of great while on the plane...just had to be entertained by something new every 5 minutes, and unfortunately we ran out of milk in the first 30 minutes of the flight. We had a pretty good rotation going on: coloring, eating, drinking some water, reading/chewing a book, hugging George, some more eating, coloring, more eating, walking up and down the aisle, more eating... You get the picture. After the 5 hour flight, I was exhausted - felt like I had just completed a bootcamp workout session!
Finally - we arrive! It's now 6:30pm east coast time. My parents meet us at baggage claim and help with getting us out of the airport. Not quite our time for dinner but I knew we needed to try to get on "schedule" so we head to O'Loughlin's for some delicious onion straws and wings. Ethan enjoyed his ravioli while mom chowed down on those amazing wings! We head back to grandma & grandpa's house and play for a bit. Ethan had a great time exploring the new surroundings....the potted plants, the humidor, the TV speakers, grandma's tupperware lazy susan, and the stairs. All things he doesn't see in our house back in Cali. The word "no" was certainly used a lot while in Maryland. Bedtime rolls around and Ethan is a mess. This was one instance where I wished he could communicate more....he was screaming and would only fall asleep if I was in the room with him. I've never done this before but I felt badly for him. Grandma says that "special things" always happen at grandma's house...staying in his room until he was sound asleep was one of them. He woke up a few times in the middle of the night screaming (which I think was from not knowing where he was) but he did calm himself back down. You just never know with kids....was it the surroundings, was he affected by the change in pressure eventhough he showed no signs of his ears hurting, or was he just off his schedule? Who knows!
Beginning Sunday, things were just peachy-keen. He was an angel in church and possibly the star of the show at the 31 party my sister hosted. Just as the woman began her pitch, Ethan walks into the center of the room, does a little shimmy, walks backwards, proceeds to stick out his bottom and his face turns bright red. So apparently our child has no issues with public "speaking." Grandma Landers attended the party as she was there to pick up Ethan for his first ever sleepover. Ethan spent Sunday night and Monday night in Fairfax with Jon's family. I stayed in Annapolis and went to work. While it was different being able to enjoy dinner conversation without having to entertain Ethan, I certainly missed my buddy! Word back from Fairfax was that he was an angel and they loved having him around. Well - everyone but Kolby. I don't think Kolby enjoyed having his space overtaken by the little guy.
The Whites and Landers met up for dinner in Crystal City on Tuesday to swap out the kid. Dinner was good and Ethan was entertaining us all. I still had to go to work, but apparently Ethan had lots of fun in Annapolis - meeting the Academy Women's Club ladies, hanging out in my parents' lawyer's office for a few minutes, playing outside with his cousins and pointing out every single dog that walked by my parent's door. I'm glad Ethan was able to get over his Saturday night craziness...it made for a much more enjoyable trip.
As with most things, our stint back East came to an end. We caught the 7:55pm flight out of Baltimore on Saturday. The one piece of advice I've actually found to be extremely helpful when flying with kids - have no expectations! While I thought Ethan would sleep on the flight, he only did for about 1.5 hours. We had a great time coloring, playing peek-a-book and row-row-row-your boat, and drinking our milk (BWI's terminal had a few more store selections and they carried bottled milk). Again, I left the plane feeling like I just got out of a workout session but it wasn't so bad - we were pros at this point! We grabbed our bags and made the trek back to the car. Ethan was awake for about 10 minutes in the car. I think he felt like he needed to keep me company. He was jabbering away and then all of a sudden, it was quiet. He finally had crashed!
About an hour after landing, we pulled into our driveway. Ahhhh....so good to be home! Our favorite daddy was there to meet us and gave some good kisses and hugs. It's 11:45pm at this point. We go inside and the two of them play & laugh & giggle for about 2 minutes and then Ethan just starts crying and runs over to me. I ask if he wants to go night-night and he quickly makes his way over to the stairs and raises his arms signaling that he did not want to crawl up the stairs. Jon picks him up and puts him in his crib, and that's the last time we hear from Ethan until 6:30 the following morning. I'm not sure who fell asleep quicker...Ethan or me! It was so good to be back in our own beds!
 |
| Ethan's still waiting for his first lacrosse game. He's figured out that he needs to have the ball in the crosse...he's a quick learner! |
 |
| Maybe if I try my luck in basketball, I'll find someone to pick me up! |
 |
| He shoots, he scores! |
 |
| Just sittin' in my chair - for the first time - watching daddy work on his latest woodworking project! This lasted all of about 3 minutes |
 |
| See, Dad. I still play with my birthday balloons! |
 |
| I love pulling my block wagon around! |
 |
| Waiting at the airport for our flight to Baltimore |
 |
| On the plane! We're ready to go! |
 |
| Playing with my buddy, Liam, after Church |
 |
| Ethan and Bentley learning to share |
 |
| Ethan's had enough of Bentley rolling on him |
 |
| Ethan lovin' on Kolby...this got old for Kolby very quickly! |
 |
| Takin' a little drive around Fairfax |
 |
| Dinner time...notice the subconscious mouth opening from Caleb! |
 |
| Ewww...what is this stuff?? |
 |
| Ella's turn |
 |
| Logan's turn...he doesn't quite get that Ethan's mouth isn't that big! |
 |
| Cousins - minus one |
 |
| The adults' dinner...LOVE me some shrimp & crabs! |
 |
| So happy to be back in my own crib! |
 |
| Workin' on my computer, just like mommy! |
No comments:
Post a Comment