Well, we survived our night out. The sitter was fantastic! Cleaned up the toys, washed the dishes and rocked Ethan to sleep just because she wanted to. Pretty awesome knowing that your kid is taken care of while you're out with friends. It certainly wasn't a late night by any means...sad realization that we're no longer 25. The thought of our wake up call at 7am limited our indulgence in all things considered adult beverages. There was a moment or two when there was just a little booty-shakin' going on, but it was more out of nostalgia as the song playing was from the good ol' days of high school. As pumped as I was to hear it and shake a little tail, I cannot actually remember what the song was - yet, another sign of the aging process.
Last week we said "see you later" to our good friend, Greg (Danielle's husband). We had the Mashburn's and Baxter's over for a delicious dinner as a "last hoorah" before Greg deploys. Flank steak, asparagus and mashed potatoes galore....and some famous Mia Mashburn chocolate chip cookies for dessert. It was fantastic and the company was great! During the meal, Jon made a quick toast to good friends and to doing this again all together come March.... Have to love deployment schedules!!
Memorial Day weekend was rather low key - but was absolutely perfect! Lots of family bonding time - and none of it was spent at the beach (just pointing that out, Jon)! I had a four day weekend thanks to my 9/80 work schedule, so Ethan and I spent all day Friday together just hanging out. We went for a long walk, played a little outside and then went grocery shopping. Ethan's newest phrase is a slurred version of "what's that." Definitely super cute...however it made for a very interesting grocery run! Everyone must have thought I was nuts constantly naming the items on the shelf as I walked by!
With Jon home until Monday we were able to clean out a lot of the garage...or at least organize it. Jon did most of the work, while I was chasing after Ethan - but I was right there with my awesome managerial comments! Sunday night we had our first sleepover with the Mashburns...Liam & Troy came to sleep at our house so that Mia & Braxton could run the Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon. Not sure what was harder...getting out the door with 3 kids in time to see Mia & Braxton cross the finish line, or actually running the half marathon. JUST KIDDING!! Liam & Troy were awesome! I'm so glad we were able to help out...and look forward to watching them again!
Ethan continually grows right before our eyes...it truly is amazing to watch him begin to comprehend things. A list of his slurred words/phrases:
What's that?
Where's George? (curious george)
It's hot (meaning the stove)
Chalk
A dog
Nana (banana)
Chos (cheerios)
Shhhh (shoes)
Sock
I can't make this up - because these are clearly used every time in the right sense. He continues to babble, but now looks at you intently and shakes his head up and down as if to make sure you're understanding what he says. He runs to the stairs anytime we say "let's change your diaper", "let's take a bath" or "it's night-night time." He completely understands the words "eat", "breakfast", "lunch" and "dinner." He runs to his highchair at the slightest mention of any of these words. Jon and I can no longer say "outside" without Ethan running to either the back door, garage door or front door. The kid loves being outside!
Ethan and I are currently getting ready to head back east for a week. I have to return to work and Jon is currently in the field. We shall see how an almost 14 month old does on a direct flight from San Diego to Baltimore. Here's hoping for a huge tailwind!
I don't have any pictures that actually fit any of the events in this post, so I leave you with the below picture. Ethan and I walked 40 minutes one way to have a few donut holes from the BEST donut shop I have ever been to. I have no will power against Surfin' Donuts - this coming from someone whose current count of donuts consumed exceeds the total amount of donuts she has eaten in the last 5 years! We've only been in town since March 17th!
On a final note - I ask that you please keep my cousin Leanne in your prayers. After several rounds of chemo and already one surgery, the doctor's have found more cancer cells in her lymph nodes. They will be performing surgery just a short 2 or 3 days after the last surgery.

No comments:
Post a Comment